It was outstanding! The inception of one of the most sought after festivals in the middle east. The experience unforgettable as were the smiles across the faces of the immigrations officials armed with all sorts of goodies, flowers, cards, chocolate boxes name it! A welcome party in force for every one who stepped out of an airplane at Dubai International Airport. A perfect welcome party. It didn’t matter if you were a tourist, or someone who was trying to make it rich or just on transit. It didn’t matter. What mattered was that little gesture of hospitality, an unforgettable experience. That was in 1996-1999, the inception period for the now famous Dubai Shopping festival (DSF). A brand was born, DSF. From a desert city with limited oil reserves to a must go shopping destination crafted and positioned over the years to a perfect family destination. This story is truly remarkable and marveled a lot of investors across the world. Today, DSF attracts millions of visitors and generates billions worth of revenues, not to mentions the opportunities. A lot of Kenyans have made they way to Dubai, returned home millionaires.
The idea of Dubai Shopping festival was born and inspired by the Great Singapore Sale, an annual event organized and promoted by the Singapore Retailers Association. It was a week long event, seeking to promote trade across the city. This concept fascinated the founding father of DSF, Director-General Mohammed Alabbar. He under the directives of Shaikh Mohammed, The Dubai department of Economic development, exponentially expanded the event into a month long shopping and entertainment extravaganza. The word “festival” was deliberately chosen, because at the time Dubai lacked the festive atmosphere. Eid was the only time that great multitudes for people would come together for a social event. So this powerful connotation “festive” was a must have to excite the participants.
The Story Behind The Brand ,DSF.
Right from the planning and to its inception, DSF was all the time being positioned as a family destination and highlighting the cosmopolitan outlook of the city. “Our objective was to create an extravaganza that would capture the interest of the region and the world, and also drive the growth of sectors such as hospitality and tourism, which are key contributors to the city’s economy,” says Alabbar.
This initiative was then handed over to the then Dubai Commerce and Tourism Promotion Board, that took the festival to road shows in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia in 1996 and in time, all over the world. “We had rolled out an ambitious and well-planned marketing strategy that complemented the tourism growth initiatives of Dubai. In addition to international road shows and tourism promotions, DSF was also carefully planned to attract the maximum number of visitors by aligning it with the holiday season,” says Alabbar. Today, you can only miss the Dubai shopping festival at your own peril. It’s a mix of business and holiday, either way, you win. The deals, the options, the network, the opportunities, the ambiance, the malls, the people across the globe, its such a spectacle.
Dubai is continually being positioned as a must visit family attraction, leveraging on its central location, exponential pioneering and growth of world leading shopping malls and fantastic airline connectivity. The festival itself seeks to offer more of top quality, moving away from last minute offers as all the big luxury brands move in. Last minutes sales continue to exist in specific parts of the city to attract this cadre of festival shoppers. DSF started with three malls, today it hosts the biggest shopping festival in the world. With the successful bidding of the 2020 World Expo, the relevance of DSF has moved on from the success of just shopping and entertainment to the ability to host large scale events.
What’s there for you?
So, we at Lindberg Holidays having realized the exponential potential Dubai Shopping Festival has for our clients and the public in general partnered with a premier Destination Management Company in Dubai to package pleasant and unforgettable experiences during the DSF and beyond. The festival its self starts on the 1st Jan 2016 and ends on the 1st Feb 2016. Its one thing to buy a ticket, visa and accommodation and announce your arrival in Dubai, and it’s a totally different experience to enlist our expertise to assist you plan your itinerary around the festival, day to day. An event of festivity and lights, shopping and glamour, sports and adventure, multi cuisine food and cosmopolitan culture mix together to great a grandeur masterpiece DSF is. Sometimes without proper planning, you can be overwhelmed and by the time you are leaving, you’ve not accomplished all your goals. Many promotions and offers on products are at every mall to attract buyers coupled with entertainment shows for kids and families during evening time. It’s a shoppers paradise, kids Disneyland, art lovers horizon and food fiesta for foodies. It’s a period filled with offers and deals at discounted prices to attract shoppers. Big malls or small shops have deals riding for everyone from clothing, electronics, cars, building materials, stationery name it. Its all there. We have a specialized team on the ground to take you exactly where you want to go, so that you don’t get lost in the maze if not being carried away by the magnificent ambiance. Amidst the shopping we’ll take you to amazing and awe inspiring tours listed below but not limited to,
- Dubai City Tour
Timing for the tour 9 am – 1pm (4 hours)
Dubai is slowly turning to a premier touristic destination at imaginably low prices. Some great places to visit in Dubai are as follows. These are a must visit when having a day tour of Dubai City.
- Ski Dubai – An indoor ski slope is present inside the mall of the Emirates known as ski Dubai. A mountain of 60m height along with 5 snow capped slopes is a characteristic feature of Ski Dubai. The temperatures range from -1C to -6C. The two main attractions of Ski Dubai are skiing and snow boarding.
- Palm Island – Jumeriah Palm, Jebel Ali Palm and Deira Palm are the three islands that form the palm island. It’s a mixture of beaches, hotels, shopping malls as well as restaurants.
- Jumeriah beach– it’s the most popular beach in Dubai. A water park named Wild Wadi Park which is part of this beach makes it a happening place for tourists as it has many popular and exciting water rides.
- Dubai Marina – Is one such new tourist attraction of Dubai. This is a man made marina and is the largest man made marina in the world. It not only consists of large buildings and towers but also shops and restaurants. The boat rides in the Dubai Marina will give you an amazing view of the sea and Jumeirah palm.
- Desert Safari with Dinner
DESERT SAFARI (4WD)-3.30 pm to 9.30 pm Daily
A must for everyone who is visiting UAE. A memory to share with your family and friends back home, This is one safari you cant do back home. We recommend it highly and it will be worth every penny spend !
This tour departs in the afternoon across the desert of Dubai with several photo-stops during an exciting dune drive to the first destination a camel farm. The drive continues across the desert. You’ll stop to watch the beautiful sunset before reaching a campsite where you have the opportunity to do a camel ride, sand boarding and try out a henna design on hand or feet. After working up an appetite enjoy a delicious barbecue dinner and shisha (the famous Arabic water pipe). Before returning to Dubai/Sharjah watch a belly dancer performing her show around the campfire by starlight.
The following activities are included :
– Pick up by 4×4 wheel Drive from any point in Dubai and Sharjah between 3.00pm to 3.30 p.m.
– Drive through the desert along Al Awir Road – Dune Bashing.
– 20-30 minutes Dune Driving
– Sun Set Photography
– Camel Rides
– Belly Dancing
– Bar (On Payment basis)
– Henna Painting
– Hubbllee Bubblee (shisha)
– Arabic Coffee (gahwa) and Fresh Dates
– Traditional costumes
– Unlimited soft drinks, tea coffee and mineral water
– Buffet Dinner and B.B.Q.(vegetarian food also available on request)
– Departure at 9.30 pm
– Sand Skiing (Costed separately)
– Quad Bike (Costed separately)
- Dhow Cruise with dinner
Dhow Cruise Dubai – 8.30 PM – 10.30 PM Daily
What could be more romantic than a dinner on a dhow cruise as it glides silently along the Dubai Creek by moonlight, cruising smoothly on a wooden dhow that is decorated with colorful lights and great seating arrangements. The Arabic and international music will soothe your ears and a buffet dinner will help you to select the dishes from a wide continental to oriental varieties. While you cruise aboard it offers on intriguingly different view of the amazing city – old town, Sheikh Saeed’s house, birthplace of Sheikh Saeed, Heritage village, golf club, parks and well as the famous modern skyscrapers of the city in the spectacular night lights.
THE PACKAGE IS INCLUSIVE OF THE FOLLOWING :
– Inclusive of international buffet dinner
– Soft drink, tea or coffee
– Toilet for ladies and gents
– Cruising at Dubai Creek
– Fully air-conditioned lower decks
– Open air upper deck
– Life Jackets, Fire Safety, and Emergency Medical Kit
The Dhow is fully insured for the safety of passengers
Highly recommended if you want to have a light evening and specially if you are a couple. One can just go and sit on the upper decks and relax and have a very romantic evening, order some wine and smoke a shisha while you cruise the Dubai creek. Also the food on the cruise is very good, the kebabs and the grills are very inviting. This cruise is for every one.. you can sing along the karaoke downstairs or sit quietly on the upper decks !
7:00 pm – 7:30 pm – Pick Up
8:00 pm – Boarding time
8:30-10:30pm – return after two hours of sailing on the Dubai Creek.
(Boarding Location will be Deira Creek Behind National Bank of Dubai & next to Sheraton Creek Hotel)
- Abu Dhabi City Tour
Timing for this tour – 9am to 5 pm (8 hours).
Abu Dhabi is the capital and largest of the seven Emirates. Known as the third most beautiful city. Abu Dhabi, or the father of the gazelle as it is known, is situated about 170Kms South West of Dubai.
Driving past the world’s largest man made port of Jebel Ali Free Zone.
Al Husa Fort, the original home of the rulers. Then to Abu Dhabi’s magnificent Corniche and the old harbor to witness the dramatic view from Breakwater Point.
- Departs 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM
- Duration approx. 6-7 HOURS
- Includes lunch & soft drinks or mineral water
Some interesting places you can visit
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque – Its one the largest mosques in the world. The main prayer hall of mosque has one of the largest chandeliers in the world. Its open to tourists every day except Friday morning.
- Ferrari World – Situated on the Yas Island of Abu Dhabi, Ferrari world is the first as well as the largest Ferrari park in the world. This amusement park has many attractions such as the world’s fastest roller coaster, Formula Rossa, the world largest Ferrari gallery, galleria Ferrari and speed of magic, a 4-D adventure show.
- Heritage village – Its located at the centre of the city and is a walking distance from Abu Dhabi Marina Hall. Ancient mud and brick houses, traditional markets, old fishing villages are part of this heritage village. A garden called Hili Gardens which contains pre historic tombs in this village and this makes the main attraction for tourists.
- Abu Dhabi Marina Mall– its a shopping mall which is located close to the Emirates palace hotel. It has a platform which has a height of 100m, an ice ring, a bowling alley, musical fountains, movie hall as well as restaurants and coffee shops apart from the shopping stores.
Shopping Guided Tours
So, what would a guided shopping look like? Below is just but an example. Here we work with you or guide you once we have established your interests. We’ll come up with an itinerary for the day, pace it nicely then cost it. This is only an example.
What You’ll Do
- Explore the Mall of the Emirates, the world’s first shopping resort
- Visit the Dubai Mall, the most-visited shopping and leisure destination on the planet
- Take in the spectacular views of the iconic Burj Khalifa
Experience the top 2 malls in Dubai on a half-day guided shopping tour. Both the Mall of the Emirates and the Dubai Mall feature world-class attractions in addition to endless shopping possibilities. Marvel at the views of the iconic Burj Kalifa.
What to Expect
Your half-day shopping excursion begins with a pick-up at your Dubai hotel. With your guide you’ll head out to the Mall of the Emirates for your first stop.
The multi-level shopping center features more than 560 international brands. In addition there are family leisure offerings within the mall, including the Magic Planet family entertainment area, VOX Cinemas with 14 screens, and Ski Dubai, the Middle East’s first indoor ski resort and snow park. The mountain resort-themed snow park is home to 20 snow penguins and offers Peng-friend encounters for guests.
Next you’ll head to the Dubai Mall, the largest mall in the world, where you’ll find all the major international brands. In additional to the shopping on offer, highlights include the Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo, Candylicious, the world’s largest sweet shop, the Shoe District, Fashion Avenue, and the iconic Burj Khalifa – the tallest man-made structure in the world.
- Tour guide
- Transportation by air-conditioned car
- Mineral water
What’s Not Included
- Admission to Ski Dubai, Burj Khalifa, and Dubai Aquarium
What to Remember
Please note that your (male or female) guide can give advice on the stores and deals but is not a fashion adviser. Many famous brands in the mall have in-house sales staff that can give recommendations.
Our promise to you
- Speedy booking and reserved spots
- No-hassle Best Price Guarantee
Dubai Shopping Festival can accommodate you budget. A lot of variants go into creating a package for you. Including the airline you will prefer, the routing of the airline, the category of the hotel/resort/lodge you’ll be staying, the tours you will be taking, the number of your travelling party (a large group attracts incredible discounts and a group leader travels for free!) etc. Talk to us today and we’ll package unforgettable experiences for you and your family. We accept payment plans, each month you can remit part payments into paying for your holidays/shopping bonanza. If you have a group of friends, talk to us today, you may just travel for free! Our vastly knowledgeable and well travelled team consists of Bosco; The Tours Manager, Richard; The Travel Manager, David; Sales and Marketing Executive, Walter; Visa Officer and Jediel; The Transport Manager is at your disposal. Call us today.